African Hospitality - Tanzania


I arrived at Mount Kilimanjaro airport late in the evening. My airplane mate offered me her passport, being that Americans pay at least twice as much to enter Tanzania, $100 US for Americans, compared with anyone else on the planet. I thought about it but the blond hair and extra 50 lbs might look suspicious. No wonder they like us Americans, not to mention Obama's name and face are everywhere. Don't the Tanzanians know we're having a recession in the US? It hasn't seem to affected Tanzania much (tourism is slightly down) according to my sources.

Loserian, my host, came to pick me up, and in typical African style, took care of my room and everything else. Hospitality is extremely important everywhere in sub-Saharan Africa and if one has a guest from somewhere else, it's typically the host's responsibility to take care of that person until they leave. Stayed in a nice little hotel/motel with a tropical courtyard in the center. Typical African layout and style. I love the tropical foliage, it's a bit like a happy pill for me. Will be starting my safari in the morning.
Habari za joni! goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment