Micro-lending possibilities with The Abayudaya (Ugandan Jews)







I had shabbat with some Jews in Uganda and it was great. The Friday night service was casual, real and basic. The music was similar with a much better beat. The drums were being played. I went to Rabbi Gershon's house for dinner after the service. We had goat, matoke, (because what Ugandan meal would leave out the matoke?) soup (broth) and homemade challah. We sang songs after the meal, a drum was brought out, of course. It was my new found friend Rachel, a rabbinical student from NYC and myself, the rabbi, his wife Siporah, their 3 kids and 20 other kids at dinner. Rabbi Gershon is interesting and funny and I plan to work with him and this community. It is a modest village and people are looking to start businesses. I think bringing Jews here and Jewish youth, in particular, would be beneficial to everyone involved. I look forward to bringing my kids to Nabugoye.

No comments:

Post a Comment